- The Bioinformatics Centre was established as Sub-DIC in the year 1991-92 which was later upgraded to DIC. The Centre has taken an initiative in manpower development in Bioinformatics and started an Advanced Post Graduate Diploma Course in Bioinformatics with the support from the Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi in the year 2001.
- The centre has so far conducted twenty seminars, workshop and training programs in the last fourteen years. The Centre has been offering a four credit course in Bioinformatics to the students of our University since 1994.
- The Centre has undertaken several collaborative projects in various areas like comparative genomics, zinc finger protein engineering, molecular modeling, drug target identification, development of teaching aids in Bioinformatics, etc.
- The Centre has been providing computational facilities, bibliographic searches, bioinformatics-related services to its users. More than 150 regular users from various departments of Pondicherry University, affiliated institutions and nearby Universities have been using these facilities.
- The Centre has been catering to the needs of scientists in life sciences, biotechnology, environmental sciences and related areas in Pondicherry University and neighboring institutes like Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Vector Control Research Centre (VCRC), French Institute, Centre for Post Graduate Studies, Degree Colleges and some industries in and around Pondicherry and also from other neighboring Universities. The centre also receives several enquiries from various parts of the country.
- The Centre has 4 positions of Studentship/Traineeship of one-year duration sponsored by DBT, Government of India, to train Postgraduate degrees in various aspects of bioinformatics.
- Dawn of the Bioinformatics Centre. Established as Sub-DIC at Pondicherry University
- Service provider with facilities for sequence retrieval and analysis and abstract services
- Started one year Advanced Post Graduate Diploma course in Bioinformatics
- Sub-Distributed Information Centre (Sub-DIC) becomes Bioinformatics Center with DIC Status
- Started Molecular Modeling facility
- (Silicon Graphics System with
- Insight-II & DS Modeling server) and
- Linux based Beowulf type Clustering
- Exclusive 2 Mbps connectivity from DBT
- Dedicated Cluster Computing for Molecular Dynamics Simulation
- Domain Name (bicpu.edu.in)
- Mail Server
Post Graduate Degree (M.Sc.) Course in Bioinformatics
Centre for Excellence in Bioinformatics for Teaching and Research from the Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communication & Information Technology, Govt. of India
The present exclusive 2 Mbps Internet Connectivity of the Centre is upgraded to 4 Mbps
Short term module courses in Bioinformatics with the support of Department of Information Technology, Govt. of India
- The present dedicated 4 Mbps Leased Line Internet Connectivity of the Centre is upgraded to 8 Mbps
- Akta HPLC System, -80 C Deep Freezer and more instruments are added under the wetlab development plan
- The present Dedicated 8 Mbps Leased Line Internet Connectivity of the Centre is upgraded to 11 Mbps